Born and reared in Pinola, Mississippi, she was educated in the Simpson County Schools. Eleven years of matriculation were completed at New Hymn Attendance Center, and she completed her senior year at the newly integrated Pinola High School.
Ruby received her Associate’s Degree from Copiah-Lincoln Jr. College (now Community College). Over the years, she earned additional college courses at Hinds Jr. College, Jackson State University, and Penn State University. She earned her Bachelors Degree in Business Administration from Belhaven College (now University) in Jackson, Mississippi.
Two weeks after graduating from Jr. College, she began her career as a secretary at the Mississippi State Department of Education’s Special Education Office where she assisted in the development of forms for the State’s IEP program. She worked with other offices within the Department as secretary and administrative assistant, retiring as a special projects officer in the Office of the Deputy State Superintendent. She began a second career as Administrative Assistant at Belhaven University, working with two vice presidents before ending her career there as AA to the Athletic Director.
Accomplishments garnered by Ruby include:
- First African American from Copiah-Lincoln Jr. College selected Who’s Who Among Students in American Junior Colleges
- Elected and served multiple terms as President of Hinds County Association of Educational Office Professionals (HCAEOP)
- First African American elected President of the Mississippi Association of Educational Office Professionals (MAEOP)
- Honored as Office Professional of the Year for Mississippi AEOP
- First African American elected Director for the Southeast Area states for the National Association of Educational Office Professionals (NAEOP)
- First African American elected President of the National Association of Educational Office Professionals (NAEOP)
She has served in her local and district churches in various positions including chairman of her local program committee, choir member, youth Sunday School teacher, Young People Willing Worker teacher, and secretary. She currently serves as an adult Sunday School teacher and assistant church secretary at her local church and Co-Chairman of the Christian Education Department of District #10 of the Mississippi First Ecclesiastical Jurisdiction of the Church of God in Christ (COGIC).
Ruby is the proud mother of one daughter, a son-in-love, and even a prouder grandma/granny to the four most adorable grandchildren in the world.